WELCOME FELLOW BOLT CATCHERS!


An Imperial Guard Warhammer 40,000 Blog, with the occasional deviation.

Now with added NECRON!!
WARNING! Slight Warzone: Resurrection, after taste.

Sunday 7 June 2015

Painting Guide - The colours of Trazian Dynasty


SO I often get asked:  When are you going to give that car back?  But that isn't important.
What is important is those people who want to know how I paint my Necrons.

So, keeping it simple:  Here is your answer.

See this is why we suck at night fight...
Now bear in mind I'm doing this in a modicum of a rush.  I've just had a game of 5k vs 5k and the maelstrom cards were mean. >_<

Some of the pics may not be of the same figure but at the very least can visually show what it is I am talking about.

Stage 1. Undercoat!  Bone!!


  • Prime the figure using Army Painter: Skeleton Bone spray.  I chose this spray solely because it comes with a paint which actually sodding matches the spray!!



Stage 2. Ink it to death!!  


  • I tend to alternate from Agrax Ink from Gw to Army Painters Soft or Hard tone to get the darker brown into the recesses and generally give the bone a deeper tone.  Feel free to lather it on all the things but bear in mind the base and weapon will be being painted another colour.



Stage 3. Love your bases!


  • I like to do the base halfway at this point as it not only provides psychological goodies (look how far I've got!) but also allows you to technically use them in a rush (bases and 3 colours?). Though I never do that.  I am a paint snob apparently. >_>



Stage 4.  This is where things get interesting.  


  • First, paint the weapon entirely grey using GW's Mechanicum grey.  Make sure the coat is thick enough to base it from bone.  If left too watered it can leave the edges pale.  Nothing hugely bad, just something to note.
  • Paint the "joints" and the back of the faceplate a silvered metal colour, preferably dark as it shouldn't clash with the bright armour colour.  I use Leadbelcher from GW but any generic metal will do.
  • Also paint the "energy" bits a dark green, I use Waaagh Flesh green as a base, highlighted some with a medium green such as Warpstone Glow.  
  • Now for a "Spot Colour" I chose red, which some say does clash with the green, but I have no taste thankfully.  Up to you, but my forces from the Trazian Dynasty use red which starts off as Khorne Red.


    Weapons = grey, Energy = Green!
  • To wrap this phase up, soak the red, grey, metal and green areas in a watered black ink.  Nuln Oil from GW works fine, but I prefer Army Painters Dark Tone as it can be watered to wash or left thick to shade. (Read: Throw it on and play around until happy!)



Stage 5.  Nearly done.  Now that the ink is dry, time for the finalè.


  • Firstly highlight the red with either Khorne Red from GW or Mepheston Red, also GW.  Your choice.  Khorne is more muted and worn red but Mepheston has won me over these days.
  • Taking Army Painter Skeleton Bone, begin slapping on thinned coats of bone on the armour.  Now pay attention to the way the ink has settled on the flat surfaces and add the final bone coat to simulate the better, remaining part of the paint work.  Occasionally miss some of the darker pooled areas and leave some of the "toned down" bone underneath showing.  This isn't a rocket science but it is best to do one or two coats then 1 thick one.  I'd say be patient, but I'm not, and I do often slap on a pretty heavy coat just to get them done.  Remember, you can always put on more Ink later to touch up any crevasses or lost shading. 
  • At the end, I tend to touch up the grey on the weapon, mainly to cover up any wear where the paint has come away to show that damn strong primer coat underneath!





Take a close look at the way the bone was readded.



  • Spray in varnish, I'd recommend Army Painters No Shine, though GW's Satin is fine.  


  • What you mean they have blast markers!?!?
  • Add green rod, take photo and brag about how many Warriors you've done, soul still intact.


Thanks for reading, keep painting and let me know if you have any questions.

R

#Justsoddingpaintit
#Bonecrons4thewin








No comments:

Post a Comment