WELCOME FELLOW BOLT CATCHERS!


An Imperial Guard Warhammer 40,000 Blog, with the occasional deviation.

Now with added NECRON!!
WARNING! Slight Warzone: Resurrection, after taste.

Saturday 27 June 2015

Conversion - Heavy Destroyer


As requested!  Here under are more pics and details about the first (I promise!) of many such Destroyer conversions.

Now as I've mentioned before, I'm not a fan of the GW Destroyer figure, it's dated and damn me if I haven't already painted several already.  Besides, I wanted something thematic with the armies Egyptian feel.

Inspired to make it more of another Cryptek construct, I grabbed some Tomb Kings snake knights from the Warhammer Fantasy range.


This with some left over bits from the Praetorian Stalkers and others from the bits box, I dove in with clippers and green stuff.


I loved the idea that this thing was usually worshipped or even camoflaged as what the lesser races would see as no more than statues and furniture.  Then, when activated it would come alive as a snake like construct designed to support Wraith and Spyders in the defence or support of the Dynasty.


As the doubles tournament coming up allowed me enough points to grab a Heavy Destroyer, I chopped up and one of the Heavy Gauss weapons from the Stalker.  The hardest part was the hands, as I'd already given the staff weapon blades to Rottimus for his Blood Angels special dudeses.


 Eventually I noticed an over abundance of this strange part for the right arm which possessed a perfect ball joint.  When the Heavy Gauss was cut into, this worked as a perfect brace for the weapon.  But for the other arm's hand?  Everything seemed too small and fleshy.  What worked in the end?  I kid you not, Skaven.  Skaven hands from the Mordheim set.  Seriously, never throw out bits.


To tie in with the Dynasty's colour scheme I went with bone and red as a spot colour.  I played around with the green illumination for the first time with mixed success.  Sadly I was on a busy schedule.  Maybe next time?  I have plans for 1 more of these Heavy variants and then 4 standard.  Maybe I'll even get enough for a cult?



In hindsite, as Rottimus pointed out, the "emerging from the ground" base seems weird when one considers the way the slate and floor parts are angled.  THE WRONG WAY!!! >_<

Also, It did occur to me that in regards to the Dynasty's background, being ex Necron political prisoners, why then are the supposed Guards of said Prison (albeit converted to the cause) in the same bone and red convict colours?

Who knows, maybe Overlord Hautsi saw irony in repainting them?

Or wizards did it...

No comments:

Post a Comment