WELCOME FELLOW BOLT CATCHERS!


An Imperial Guard Warhammer 40,000 Blog, with the occasional deviation.

Now with added NECRON!!
WARNING! Slight Warzone: Resurrection, after taste.

Monday 23 February 2015

The Road to Apocalypse - The Transcendent C'tan.


So, while I've been busy moving into our new home, I have been neglecting my Bloggy duties.  Forgive me fellow 'Cronsters, I have been weak.  In way of apology, please accept the following set of pics from the rush built Transcendent C'tan for an Apocolypse game about a month ago now.

I say rush build, not in a bad way, but in a decisive, ultra efficient way, that started out so simple and somehow just got drunk and added green stuff...  No-one said this was an exact science!

Now, back prior to the recent Codex Necrons 2015, the Transcendent C'tan was an upmodded variant on the C'tan, insanely powerful and easily argued as being OP (Overpowered).  Unfortunately, the release of the new 'Dex was on the day of the Apoc game, and as GW quite rightly noticed that they were undercutting their Tesseract Vault with this unit, they swapped things around.

Now the T-C'tan (some insist on calling it a Tranny C'tan?  Come now gentleman, have some decorum for 'Crons' sake.) is a kind of unnamed C'tan that ain't the Deceiver or the other Reapery one everyone goes for.  Incidentally they work damn well together.  Deceiver giving a debuff of -2 to enemy Ld in 12" which the Nightbringer (That's the one!) can use in his ranged attack to ruin enemy heavy armoured units.

But I digress.  I was inventing a C'tan.

Now I've been in love with the idea of using and abusing the Tomb Squinx kit from GW's Tomb Kings range for some time.  I got motivated to complete it for this Apoc game, but really got driven after discovering the lower torso from a sculpter called Rothand Studios (Click for link).

Designed more for making a Tomb Kings Heirophant for Warhammer Fantasy, it was still moulded perfectly to fit the upper torso of the plastic kit and gave me a base to work from.


As I kit bashed the thing together, I began imagining a back ground for it.  In the cannon, C'tan were bound first into being using Necrodermis to give the energy based entities a body to communicate with.  These were, at least in the earlier cannon, said to represent the Necrontyr's own gods (yet they look somewhat human facially, but I'm not judging!).  The C'tan, in the recent canon (Or fluff if you prefer!), were then defeated and rebound into weaker shards.

Using this, I loved the idea of that rib cage being like the rib cage of a typical Necron Warrior, the inside creature being made of stabilized raw energy.  In an odd after thought, I slapped a faceless plate on the C'tans face, arguably a mistake I'm not sure I like that addition, though I will probably come back to that and either extend it or remove the head and replace it entirely.

The C'tan itself is gigantic.  Well, it is double the size of the Night Bringer, but remember I was trying to do justice to the nastiest unit point for punishment in the Apoc expansion.  Still, a nice center piece, and using the Mephrit Dynasties' Artefact (God Collar?), I can really explain this size with enhanced statistics.

But then, this all ties into the emerging background of the Trazian dynasty.  They are collecting C'tan for some purpose, some ill intent that unnerves the other Dynasties.

But more on that later!  Muhahahhaa.

As usual, thanks for reading, and always feel free to comment below.
It makes my life interesting. :D

Constructing critic welcome.
Nonconstructive critic will be responded to by shunning.  shuuuuun...


No comments:

Post a Comment