WELCOME FELLOW BOLT CATCHERS!


An Imperial Guard Warhammer 40,000 Blog, with the occasional deviation.

Now with added NECRON!!
WARNING! Slight Warzone: Resurrection, after taste.

Sunday 1 November 2015

Side tracked - A Slaaneshi Prince for a friend.



So of late I've been a bit sh&% at keeping up with the blogging.  No excuses!  But at least I now have lots to pound out today as I play catch up.

Firstly, and most recently (starting backwards chronologically for some reason...) is this beautiful terror.  An old Slaaneshi Daemon Prince from Forge World. Not your average Prince, this one is called Zarakynel, and has his/her/its own special rules.  Rolling in at 666 points exactly, It counts as a gargantuan creature, with an Instant Death blade on a 2+ who steals wounds.  Taking herself up to 10 wounds.

Oh and he's got a 3+ Invul.

This thing will be heading a new army that me and my mate Soundslave will be knocking out next year.  He is handling the Slaaneshi Emperors Children side of things, while I will take on the eccentric and often overlooked Crimson Slaughter.

More on that later.

What follows is sadly a poorly photographed account of the building process.  Hopefully though, some things I noticed may help anyone else attempting this in future.

Starting with the clean up, nail buffing boards offer a smoother finish on resin than standard files.  Though nothing beats a sharp scalpel blade and a few nicks on the thumb.



Next up came the big limbs.  I really had to drag out the old skillz and remember how to pin stuff.  With my Necrons they are sadly so damn brittle and thin jointed that solid pinning is often not possible.  Here though, its damn essential. Drilling out holes either end, I used plastic wrapped Paper Clips.  The genius here is that for the smaller joins, I take this plastic rubber wrap off.

The joins are drilled to be as close and snug as possible.  I found attaching one end first and dipping the tip in paint helped determining where the second hole should go.


Legs went on easy.  Feeling a bit over confident, I grabbed the lobster arms.  Sigh.  It was going so well...


After wrestling with the sword to sword hand join, I realised I could remove the rubber lining on the sword side of the pin, effectively offering two types of width.  Though I was concerned at how flimsly the blade itself was, at least it wouldnt break off at the hilt!


The two lobster arms were easy, well easier than expected.  Some filing and buffing was required to make a snug fit and the level of green stuff required was dawning on me.  Could I have put some in when joining?  Maybe.






The next step was regret.  I regretted not attaching these bloody spikes first!  I began by naively trying to simply glue them on.  Which, thanks to my shaking ape fingers didnt go so well.  After some crying and tea drinking, I decided on another approach.


Using the drill, I drilled holes to the size of the spikes own sprue.  The very things holding the spikes onto the sprue would serve as resin pins, or plugs.  The result was smooth and much easier insertion.




On a time limit, I crudely attached her to the base with some extra green stuff and super glue.  Then, came the waiting.  And sleep.




Then came the real fun.  Something I'd been dreading since I started.  The Slaaneshi dread locks.  Inspired by all that is wrong in the world, these resin lenths were brought her to destroy me. Thankfully, I had recently discovered coffee.  Which incidently sounds great when you replace all sentances with Warp in it with Coffee.

"I feel the Coffee overtaking me.  It is a good pain."
The resin dreads needed to be bent after being submerged in boiled water for about eight or so seconds.  The resin was a good mix so there was little risk of melting entirely.  Though I had to hold it as it cooled in its new position. Each Dread was then drilled and pinned to the head working from the bottom up to ensure none banged into each other. A bit of GS to fill the gaps and boom.  Not so scary after all.

Though that said, the left horn component wasn't complete and had to be filled and sculpted to completion.  Not my best work, but it does the job.


The base was detailed with some spare resin details.  As we see have a Craftworld Eldar and Space Marine player, well, the base had to have some heads on it.


Once secured, the base was lavishly coated in superglue and submerged in basing sand.  This process was repeated until the resin bits were level with the sand and no GS was showing.






The base was finally coated in watered PVA glue, to seal down the sand bits and keep them from being scrapped off.  It also helps the priming coat I find.


And that was that.  In total around 6 hours work.  For 666pts, not a bad offering.  Thankfully I don't have to paint her.  The arms mean she will need some special carrying and storage methods, I'd recommend pluck pack or something with a big space and a lot of give.  If the sword breaks, this conversion by Sersi, I spotted on Dakka provides a great rebuild idea making it a staff.  Its from an amazing Slaaneshi custom build army found here.

Rules wise, its too early to tell, but her abilitys in combat are somewhat insane.  Her weakness as usual will be against D weapons, but these days there is always something in the newest codex.

Thanks for reading.

R







No comments:

Post a Comment